303-442-8554 or 303-557-0725

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

US Citizenship through Naturalization

The most common way of acquiring United States citizenship is by birth in the United States. An individual born abroad to two United States citizen parents also acquires US citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, if the parents were married and if at least one of the parents had resided in the United States prior to the child's birth.  Under Section 301(g) of the INA, a child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one noncitizen parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth  provided the parents were married and the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth.

The laws for automatic U.S. citizenship at birth for children born out of wedlock are more complicated, particularly where the child would possibly derive U.S. citizenship through the father.

 US Citizenship US Naturalization lawyerNaturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national.  For many  immigrants, United States citizenship is the desired goal and our experienced immigration attorneys provide legal representation in naturalization cases.

While obtaining United States citizenship offers a permanence and security not afforded by a green card, for some the risk of applying for citizenship outweighs the benefits.  The consequences of applying for naturalization when you do not qualify can range from the loss of your filing fee  to finding yourself placed in deportation or removal proceedings.  Because the decision to apply for United States citizenship can have unexpected and unpleasant consequences, it is critical to consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer before submitting an application.  Our knowledgeable Denver immigration attorneys can provide full legal representation and guide you through every step of the naturalization process or you can simply seek our assistance to advise you regarding any potential adverse consequences of filing for US citizenship.

The application for naturalization is submitted on the form N-400.  After receiving your application, USCIS forwards you an appointment for biometrics.  At this time, study materials are being provided to naturalization applicants when they appear for their biometrics appointments.  At it's website, the USCIS also provides study materials for the English exam and for the civics exam.  After your biometrics appointment, you will receive an interview appointment.  At the interview, you will be tested regarding your knowledge of United States history and government.  The immigration officer conducting the interview will also be evaluating your command of the English language and will ask you to write a simple sentence in English.

Normally, to be eligible to apply for citizenship, you must have been living in the United States with permanent residence status for at least five years.  If you were married to a United States citizen, this time may be reduced to three years.   In addition to having  residence in the United States, there are also separate physical presence requirements.

Contact one of our experienced US naturalization lawyers by phoning 303-442-8554 or 303-557-0725 for an appointment to discuss your eligibility.

The immigration law firm of Saltrese and DeSeguin llc has offices in Lakewood  and Boulder.    Free Parking. 

7625 West 5th Ave, Ste 216d
Lakewood CO 80226

595 Canyon Blvd
Suite E
Boulder CO 80302